Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Stash Death

In an effort to make money fast, I sold a large amount of my stash. Six skeins of Wollmeise, 4 skeins of Lorna's Laces sock, 5 skeins of Sundara Merino Sport, 1 skein of Shivaya Lace, 5 skeins of Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light, 2 skeins of Claudia Silky Merino, 2 skiens of Shibui Silk Cloud, 2 skeins of Claudia Hand Painted, and 2 skeins of Yarn Love Anne Shirley.

This experience has taught me to not buy yarn until I am ready for a project. I have, altogether, too much yarn. The allure of Wollmeise is over. The allure of a "good deal" has passed. I want to knit with what I love.

It almost brought me to tears when I came home after posting all the yarn from work...to touch it, bag it, address it, send it...was really hard. But I know that there are other loving homes out there...and I've learned my lesson about over stashing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you! I have also collected a lot of yarn over the past year - I get really excited about a project, buy the yarn in advance and then by the time I'm ready to knit it - well, lets just say that the crush is over and I'm left with the yarn. I'm going to do what you said - buy the yarn as I need it.

adrienne said...

Yup. I need to do this as well. I love all my yarn (I think. the yarn I can remember, anyways!), but I have so much. Even if I became a super-prolific knitter, I'd still have years and years before I needed to buy more yarn.

So, good for you! But wow, that must have been tough.

Caryl said...

I'm still under the delusion that I will knit all 350 items or so I have queued and that it's ok to buy the yarn because I WILL USE IT! I'm not ready yet to give up that delusion so I try to knit fast so that I can try to keep up with my queuing and yarn addiction.

Jen said...

Aww, I know the feeling. Hey, can you email me? I need your email addy, I have something for you. ;)